Jim O'Connor Named USTTI President
September 14, 2016
At today's USTTI Board of Directors' meeting, USTTI Chairman Michael Gardner announced the unanimous vote of the USTTI Board to name James "Jim" O'Connor as President of the USTTI - the ICT industry-government joint venture that has provided tuition-free ICT training for 9,447 officials and regulators from 171 developing countries.
O'Connor served for the past five years as Executive Director of the USTTI and four years before that as USTTI's Senior Curriculum Coordinator.
"Jim O'Connor is a highly energetic and innovative ICT leader who knows how important ICT deployment is for the women and men from throughout the developing world. The USTTI board and I are confident of Jim's enlightened leadership as President of the USTTI," Ambassador Gardner said.
During the past 34 years the USTTI has conducted 2,122 diverse courses ranging from spectrum management, cybersecurity, mobile connectivity to ICT best practices and rule of law training.
As the USTTI enters its 35th year of aggressively sharing ICT knowledge with women and men from the developing world, O'Connor will have expanded responsibilities to develop innovative senior level training programs for the 2,700 plus applicants who each year apply for USTTI training.
In naming O'Connor as USTTI President, Ambassador Gardner confirmed that he will remain the pro-bono Chairman of the USTTI which he founded at the Nairobi, Kenya Plenipotentiary Conference in 1982.
The USTTI Board is a composite of leaders from ICT industry and ranking ICT officials from the federal government. The Board includes:
* Michael Gardner, Chairman, USTTI, The Law Offices of Michael R. Gardner,
* Rebecca Arbogast, Senior Vice President, Global Public Policy, COMCAST NBCUniversal;
* JB Ballard, President, SPX COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGIES;
* Donna Bethea-Murphy, Senior Vice President, Global Regulatory, INMARSAT, INC.;
* Ellen Blackler, Vice President, Global Public Policy, THE WALT DISNEY COMPANY;
* Kathryn Brown, President and Chief Executive Officer , INTERNET SOCIETY (ISOC)
* Jared Carlson, Director, Government Affairs and Public Policy, ERICSSON;
* Gonzalo de Dios, Associate General Counsel, INTELSAT CORPORATION;
* Belinda Exelby, Head of International Relations, GSM ASSOCIATION;
* Will Hudson, Senior Advisor for International Policy, GOOGLE INC.;
* Eric Loeb, Senior Vice President, International External and Regulatory Affairs, AT&T SERVICES, INC.;
* Paul Mitchell, General Manager, Telecom and Internet Governance, MICROSOFT CORPORATION;
* Peter Pitsch, Executive Director, Communications Policy, Associate General Counsel, INTEL CORPORATION;
* Chip Smith, Executive Vice President, Global Public Affairs, 21ST CENTURY FOX;
* Jacquelynn Ruff, Vice President, Int'l Public Policy and Regulatory Affairs, VERIZON COMMUNICATIONS;
* Honorable Harrison H. Schmitt, PhD, Aerospace Consultant and Director, Former Chair, NASA Advisory Council, Former United States Senator & Astronaut;
* Daniel Sepulveda, Ambassador. U.S. Coordinator, International Communications and Information Policy, U.S. DEPARTMENT OF STATE;
* Lawrence Strickling, Assistant Secretary of Commerce for Communications & Information and Administrator of NTIA, U.S. DEPARTMENT OF COMMERCE;
* Tom Wasilewski, Vice President, Government Affairs, QUALCOMM INCORPORATED;
* Tom Wheeler, Chairman, FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION;
* Sarah Wynn-Williams, Director, Global Public Policy, FACEBOOK
For questions about the USTTI contact Esther Gabriel at (202) 785-2828.